Seven Questions for Sara Carrero



This week's #SevenQuestions features one of my all-time favorite people: Sara Carrero! If you love the cover to my book "The Wolves of Dynamo" then you have Sara to thank for that (I already have, several times.) She's a whirling dervish of creative energy, whether she's painting, crocheting, making jewelry, constructing Zoinkies...

A rainbow of Zoinkies

 or cute bunnies...

A fluffle of bunnies


 ...she is ALWAYS creating.

Last November, Sara was an ML (Municipal Liaison) for NaNoWriMo in New York, helping set-up write-ins and get togethers for groups of writers hoping to complete the 50k challenge. I'm exhausted just writing her intro, nevermind doing all the stuff she does. lol.

Sara somehow had time to answer my #SevenQuestions...I suspect she might be a Time Lord.


1 - Leather or lace?

BOTH! Leather trimmed with lace. There are certain things you shouldn't have to choose between.

2 - If you weren't able to write, how would your creativity manifest itself?
Drawing, painting, sewing, making tiny books...all those other things I do! I get particularly grumpy when I don't get to write though.

3 - What is your biggest phobia?

Spiders or having ketchup on my skin, depending on the day...

4 - On the days you're not feeling motivated, what will inspire you or kick you in the butt to get going?


Telling Twitter. Once I admit that I'm just staring at my screen I usually start to write. If I'm feeling stuck generally the best thing for me to do is go shower (or as I usually call it: visiting the magical shower of ideas!), or go bake something. If I don't manage to figure out what to write next by the end of a batch of cookies they become excellent motivation.

5 - If you won $100 million on the lottery would you still write?

I'd write more! I'd also get some kind of B&B and set up a writer/artist retreat so people could have a creative hideout somewhere in the middle of nowhere. There would have to be hiking trails on the grounds. And llamas! (No, I haven't thought about this at all. Well, the llamas are a new addition.)

6 - One piece of advice for new writers?

Finish your stories! Even if the fabric between universes tears open and a three-headed griffin appears that kills everyone on the spot, finish it. It took about 10 years before I actually finished a story instead of abandoning it, but that changed everything for me.

7 - Can you just sit down and write or do certain things like location, music, ambience, time of day, need to be right?


At home I can pretty much handle anything as long as it's not completely quiet, mostly because completely quiet is never quiet (NYC apartments are noisy places) and I'm distracted by EVERY sound. Music works, but sometimes I'll just end up dancing around the house instead of writing. I actually do best sitting on the couch while marathoning a show I've seen a million times. Some of my most productive days have involved Buffy the Vampire Slayer marathons. Outside of the house I am usually too distracted to focus, but sometimes I manage to be productive in my favorite bars just after work.

Now, go follow Sara on twitter and check out her website for all her crafty stuff...

When fantasy writers spill ink




GSY

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Selling your book or selling your soul?

Questions for Spartagus.

Blogging from A to Z: H is for...Helicopters