Seven Questions for Andrew F. Butters


Answering #SevenQuestions this week is Andrew Butters, another of the Canadian crew of writers I've had the privilege of associating with. He's taking a break from building Lair North, Eh?™ which he has assured us has nothing to do with world domination...except in a writing capacity. Currently it's just a room with bookcases and writing desk, but if you ask me there's still enough room for lasers and a space shuttle.

Andrew is a keen, and vocal, supporter of his fellow writers...and the Toronto Blue Jays. (Well, nobody's perfect.) So, it's my great pleasure to turn it over to Andrew and please check out his links at the end. Add. Follow. Subscribe. You know the deal! :)





1 - If you weren't able to write, how would your creativity manifest itself?

Photography. I didn't start writing until I was well into my 30's. Around the same time my fingers started twitching for the keyboard I started taking photographs. It grew into a small business where I would spell out people's names with photographs of things that look like letters. I've stopped doing that now, but still enjoy taking photographs. If I wasn't able to write I'd photograph everything. As it is I am lucky to have a decent camera on my phone so I can capture moments when I don't have my DSLR on me.


2 - Are you scared of running out of ideas?

Bwahahahaha! Not in the least. I am the king of starting things. My problem is I have too many ideas bubbling to the surface at once. Ideas are everywhere and I try to write them down as soon as they come to me so I don't forget. I need to get better at finishing the big, ongoing stuff before tackling them but I'm never afraid I'll run out.


3 - On the days you're not feeling motivated, what will inspire you or kick you in the butt to get going?

Everyone in the writers' group that I co-founded on Facebook. We're a small collection of writers with a wide variety of experience and writing credits but we all have one thing in common: mutual respect and support for everyone in the group. If I'm ever stuck, or "not feeling it", I know all I need to do is send out a quick note to the group and I'll have several people right there helping me out. There are a few in particular that I am closer with and I know that I can send them a text or email at any point and they'll be brutally honest with me and kick my ass if needed.


4 - Which writer has influenced you most?

It's funny because he's not much of a writer in the traditional sense in terms of style and content. In fact, he would have never referred to himself as a writer, mostly because he's a Nobel Prize winning physicist. He is Dr. Richard Feynman and he had a way of explaining physics and telling stories about the world around him that captured my attention. Every time I sit down to write I try to tell the story in a way that Feynman would appreciate.


5 - Paper or plastic (physical book or e-reader?)

I have an e-reader. It's Kobo Glo and I quite like it. It's easy on the eyes when I read at night and packs a whole lot of books into one small package. I even wrote a blog post about it. Spoiler alert: I didn't think I would like it. Now, all that being said, if I had to choose between reading a physical book or reading it on an e-reader I would choose the book 100% of the time. I simply love the feel of a book in my hand (and yes, I have been known to smell books before. A few times. A lot. It's not a problem; stop judging me!) I'm also amassing a collection of books that my friends have written. I am renovating a room in my basement and turning it into a dedicated writing room and I will have a shelf / bookcase of books written by people I know, along with my copy of To Kill A Mockingbird. Physical books are my inspiration, especially the ones penned by the people I care about.


6 - Sun or Moon?

The moon fascinates me and I could spend every night that it is visible photographing it but I am sun worshiper. I love a nice bright day regardless of what season it is. Living in Southern Ontario, Canada, we are fortunate enough to experience four distinct seasons, sometimes all in one day. But, if the sun is shining you can't wipe the smile off my face. The sun gave our planet life and that significance is emphasized with every sunrise and sunset I am fortunate enough to witness.


7 - Favorite curse word?

I suspect I'm not alone in this when I say that my favourite curse word is "Fuck" and all of its derivatives. For the record, I don't think there are bad words. I think that context and intent are more significant than the utterance of a single word or phrase. As such, I swear a lot. I don't utilize it in much of my writing, but if I think a word belongs somewhere and that word happens to be a cuss word I'm going to use it. Fuck it, I say, and fuck the fucking fuckers who disagree!. Fuck is so fucking versatile you can use it in just about any situation and as any part of speech. Fuckin' A.


Blog: Potato Chip Math
Twitter: @andrewbutters
Facebook: Author Andrew Butters
Instagram: andrewbutters
Serial Novel: OCH Literary Society
Photography: Andrew Butters on Flickr
More Photography & Misc: Potato Chip Math on Tumblr




GSY

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Selling your book or selling your soul?

#movies - Review - King Arthur: Legend of the Sword

Questions for Spartagus.